Credit bureau investigation - what if I disagree?
An investigation may not resolve your dispute with the credit bureau with the outcome you wanted. If that's the case, ask the credit bureau to include your statement of the dispute in your file and in future reports. If requested, the credit bureau also will provide your statement to anyone who received a copy of the old report in the recent past. There usually is a fee for this service.
If you tell the information provider that you dispute an item, a notice of your dispute must be included anytime the information provider reports the item to a credit bureau while that dispute is being investigated.
If the investigation does not produce the results you feel are correct and inaccurate information in your credit report is causing you harm, you may consider hiring a lawyer you help to resolve your dispute as a last resort.
- How do I get my free credit report and score from each bureau?
- What differences on my credit reports should I be concerned about?
- I pay my credit cards off each month yet my credit report shows balances on these accounts. Why?
- Sample - credit report dispute letter
- How do mistakes get on my credit report?
- How long do inquiries stay on my credit report?
Popular Forum Threads
Estimate your FICO Score range
Answer 10 easy questions to get a free estimate of your FICO Score range
Instant Access to Your FICO® Score
90% of Top Lenders Use FICO® Scores. Do you know yours?Get Access Now!